Tricks to avoid car sickness in dogs
It’s spring time! Yay! This means it’s getting hotter and we can start taking road trips to the beach with our dogs. Have you wondered if dogs get car sick? They do! 20% of dogs get car sick, especially puppies.
Dogs get car sick due to the over stimulation of the ear structure that’s used for balance, especially if it’s not fully developed. Therefore, it’s more common in puppies than in adult dogs, in most cases dogs outgrow it, but in some it continues throughout their life.
Factors that may cause car sickness:
- Strong smells
- Long trips
- Rough or fast driving
- Where they are sitting inside the car
How to avoid car sickness?
- If your dog has had bad experiences before: try to help him feel comfortable when he is getting inside the car.
- Avoid giving him food around four hours before, this way he won’t throw up.
- If your dog has never been on a car: try to go on short trips so he can start to get used to it. Don’t get mad at him if he gets dizzy or throws up.
- Make sure the environment is fresh, you can achieve this by having the AC on or the windows down.
- Stop every few hours, let him walk around and relax.
We hope these tips help make your trips with your dog as pleasant as possible!
Lastly, remember that dogs need to wear seat belts that are especially made for them or travel inside of crates for your and his safety.
Wearable veterinary harnesses, like Dinbeat UNO®, incorporate a variety of sensors that are revolutionizing the way veterinarians diagnose, monitor, and treat animals. These harnesses enable real-time monitoring of an animal's vital signs, behavior, and activity...
What is the pericardium? The pericardium is composed of membranes that surround the heart. We could say that, in a way, it is a bag that wraps the heart. Its main functions are to fix the correct position of the heart, to maintain the cardiac shape and to protect the...
Are you traveling or moving to Spain with pets? For us animal-lovers, traveling or moving without your pet is not an option. Pets can run away or get lost. We all know it happens, even if you are a responsible owner. It is the worst feeling in the world knowing that...